Broken Arm Redemption 10

Apr18

So I’m gonna go run Zane Grey this weekend.   Looks to be a steamer, somewhere around 90 degrees.   There’s nothing like traversing below the Mogollon Rim near Payson, AZ.  No trail or race, that I can speak of, is any more technical than this one.  It is pure ugliness.  Just the way I like it.  Hopefully this year I won’t  come home with a broken arm.  No other race is quite like this one.

1.  Joe Grant,  Phenomenal technical runner, he should run away.  Hopefully he won’t run the wrong way, Zane Grey….everyone gets a little lost.

2.  Speedgoat,  It’s the best possible course for me being so technical, I’m pretty sure I can run 8:30 ish if my foot doesn’t blow a gasket, but that’s another story. It might stop me in my tracks at mile 8,we’ll see.

3.  Catlow Shipek,  I’ve heard alot about him, now’s his chance to show it.   :-)

4.  Lon Freeman,  he’s the fastest on smooth stuff, but this one will eat him.

5.  Michael Carson, Ian Torrence and Sean Meissner fit to make top 5.

Not to mention, it being 90 degrees, we will see some real carnage, so anything can happen here.

Ladies:

1.  Petra McDowell, if she’s fit, she’s the fastest on this terrain hands down.

2. Diana Finkel,  she kills it at Hardrock, and this one being ugly, it fits here style

3.  Jane Larkindale, will pick up any carnage, and depending on how she’s feeling she could win too. She lives in the heat, so the 90’s shouldn’t be a problem.

4.  Deb Livingston, I don’t think she’s run here before.  (I could be wrong).   She a super strong runner from the east, but if it’s her first Zane Grey…everyone gets a little lost. :-)

5.  Andi Felton,  no idea…..sleeper to win it?

Speedgoat 50k is getting close to full, time to press the button folks…..

1. Jon Roig says:

Super cool that you’re coming back, Karl… we were up there marking the trail over the weekend. On the plus side, all the snow is melting. The downside? Potentially lots of mud…. plus 90+ degree temps….

2. Todd says:

weak odds. I would put Ben Lewis, Jason Koop, Mike Wolfe and Eric Bohn in the top five. Should be a good race. Agreed if Petra is fit she’ll be running with the boys.
    Todd

Todd, those weren’t “odds”. Just predictions.

Ben Lewis has a broken foot, and Mike Wolfe is saving himself for Transvulcania on May 12. Eric Bohn is fast, but if I recall, not as fast on technical junk. But you are correct, he should be in the list I have. Jason Koop also, I guess I missed a few.

Wolfe would have gotten the nod, and Ben Lewis and I would be close.

4. Ben L. says:

Wish I could be out there with you! I’d have been psyched to be anywhere close to the Speedgoat in this race.

5. Jay Danek says:

I agree that there could be a couple dark horses but if the course dries out I see Joe and Petra throwing down some good times with you not far behind Joe. Tough to overlook Paulette Zillmer coming off a win at AC100 last summer and Jane Larkindale who is solid in every race she runs. Paulette is great in the hot weather so don’t be surprised if she makes a run at the podium. Nice to see so many strong AZ runners putting it on the line this year for a top 5 spot.

• Jane Larkindale says:

Jay – if you are touting AZ runners, you are underestimating Andi – her PR on the course is the fastest of any of the women aside from Petra. It’s good to see some love for Catlow here, who has been looking really strong recently!

• Jay Danek says:

That was a major over site on my part in breaking down AZ. Andi is one of the premier female runners and not just in the AZ. This is a pretty strong field on both sides of the aisle so it will be interesting to see what happens at the end. Too bad I will only be at mile 40 when the winners cross the line.

6. Michael Owen says:

90 degrees!!!??? Glad this isn’t a Marathon.

7. John Vaupel says:

We might be wishing for “only” 90° before it’s over, forecast keeps climbing by the hour today. It’s going to be fun to see the talent line up and run.

8. Andy Mc Breen says:

I look forward to seing all the talent on the trail. I can’t wait to be inspired to run this next year. this one is on My bucket List, So to speak. Good luck and God Bless all runners on the course