Jemez 50 Mile…..training run?
Hard to say what’s gonna happen this weekend in regards to me running the Jemez 50 mile. I’ve been officially cleared to run if I want…that’s pretty cool only 4 weeks after a broken wing at Zane Grey. Will I “race”? No, not likely, the risk factor is still there if I crash….I tend to take a few risks running downhill. It would be safer if I just ran it as a good training run for Hardrock, somewhere in the 10 hour range. I won’t decide till Friday. I will be there regardless as my wife Cheryl is running the 50k. I would love to be in the mix with the large handful of fast kids running, but with age comes wisdom……..and Hardrock is far more important to me.
So I entered the Pocatello 50 one week later, to give the arm an extra week….probably smart. I’ve been running for two straight weeks now and figure my fitness level will continue to improve…with age comes wisdom.
However, here’s my picks for Jemez:
#1, the record will not go down, that’s an easy one.
1. Nick Clark, Ryan Burch, and Dakota Jones are the three out front, you pick’em, it’s gonna be close. Nick hasn’t run here, the other two have and ran in the mid 9’s.
4. Tim Waggoner, just as fast as the other three, but a little less experience, also running blind.
5. Nick Lewis, claims to be nursing a hamstring, saving it for some track meet in California. He’s quick, and could be sandbagging. 🙂
6. Tom Neilsen, his experience puts him fairly close, but not close enough.
7. Speedgoat Karl, with a broken wing, he’ll need a little more Red Bull to fly, but his NEW HOKA SHOES create flight, so who knows, if he’s close, the hammer may go down on that last 9 mile descent….then again, he may not even run…..and save it for Pocatello.
8. Nicolas Mermoud, Claims he’s not so fit, but he’ll have the Hoka’s on too, so he’ll be flying.
9. Brett Rivers, Harry Harcrow, Tim Barnes, Scott Eppleman, and David Coblentz, round out the rest.
Diana Finkel should run away. I don’t think Anita Ortiz is running and Petra McDowell has dropped to the 50k, Diana all the way. It would be different if Anita and Petra were running the 50…but they’re not.
HOKA’S ARE NOW AVAILABLE IN THE US IN 4 STORES!!Wasatch Running Center, Salt Lake City,Utah Salt Lake Running Company, Salt Lake City, Utah Boulder Running Company, Boulder, Colorado Playmakers, Okemos, Michigan (May 24 ish)
Scarf them up now, they are already selling in SLC! If they get ordered online, or over the phone, bump up a half size larger….they’re european you know! 🙂
The Speedgoat 50k is now 90% full, don’t ask after it’s closed. 🙂 ….or it’ll be $200.